Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Andy and Amos

You all have touched greatly upon the representation of Andy and Amos and I agree completely with all of your analyses. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I'm just going to bring up one point that may be of some importance. Although I agree that this cartoon was intended for a younger, white audience, the opening of the video, "I hope you will look forward to seeing the Andy and Amos cartoon and that you will enjoy them thoroughly...," leads me to believe that this series could also have been targeted an older audience in a theater setting. During the earlier years when this series aired, people acquired much of their entertainment from mass gatherings at theaters. The opening of this particular cartoon appears as if it is a bit too formal for younger audiences, and may hint at the fact that older audiences were entertained by it as well. If this show was solely directed towards a younger generation, I feel as though the intro would be much less formal and more juvenile. I may be looking too far into this, but I thought it was interesting to note.

1 comment:

  1. No I completely agree. I also think that even if it initially was not intended for theatre purposes, because of its growing popularity, it did become one. I think the attended audience was whites in general. During this time, people of all ages were racist, and this cartoon could of been intended for any of them. I think that it is interesting that people would actually go pay to watch this at a theatre, knowing that all it did was cut down and make fun of blacks the whole time. It goes to show how deep racism was within our country.

    ReplyDelete