Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week 10 readings response

I enjoyed this week's readings. I could hardly imagine what it would have been like to be in Normandy during the war. Earnie Pyle's descriptions, while they are wonderful and do give you a sense of the horror and turmoil, I am sure cannot begin to scratch the surface of what it would have been like to actually be there. I liked how he tried to personalize his reporting by giving the names and the stories of particular soldiers instead of just describing the happenings of the war. You get a feeling of how it might have felt to have one of your family members serving in the war (as many people do right now). I was touched by the stories of the French who were appreciative of the presence of the soldiers and thankful for what they were doing for them.
In Robin Kelley's writings about the autobiography of Malcolm XI found the part about African Americans using any way possible to get 4F status interesting. I completely understand their resistance to fight and die for a country who had not given them all of the opportunities or freedoms they deserved, similar to the men in the Japanese internment camps. Those who refused to serve were given prison sentences. I especially understand the Japanese men not wanting to fight for a county that had taken everything away from them, even their freedom, without due cause. How could they expect someone in this position to proudy fight for a country that treated them like scum? It is so sad to think of these injustices and all of the lives that were wruined and lost.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I totally understand the resentment Japanese Americans had towards contributing to the war efforts of the nation. I can't possibly imagine how they must have felt being placed in a position to choose between their current country of residence and their home country. I don't know how I would react in a situation like that.

    ReplyDelete