Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reflections and "Killing Custer" response

First off, the lectures so far have been pretty good. Professor Hass is very charismatic about her lectures which makes it that much more enjoyable. Our discussion has also been very good. I feel like there is a wide range of participation, and for the most part, everyone seems like they are doing most of the readings (it is always tough to read that much). I like the definitions that we talk about because there are words that are constantly used in lecture that many people, including me, do not know. It helps us relate to the material better when we know the definitions of the words. I also like the full group discussion, and I feel that I benefited the most from doing this in discussion.
I thought "Killing Custer" was a very interesting book overall. I did not like the way the books was written, simply because it gets confusing at time, but I did enjoy the different insight that the author gave. He gives us a history from the Native Americans' perspective, but also provides facts to back up all his information. I think he has a legitimate argument with his ideas, because many of us do see Custer as a huge war hero, and many of us think that without knowing all of the information. I think the author makes us, as readers, to step back from what we think we know, and re-think about the events that took place. Even if you do not agree with all of his arguments, it at least makes you think about his point of view. I also thought the questions that were posted today ignited a pretty good discussion and made people really think hard about the book itself. Overall, interesting read and good discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment