Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Little Women (Reflection)

Little Women (Reflection Post)

One aspect that I did not think we discussed thoroughly in class was the representation of Beth in the novel.  I remember the professor saying that Beth is the perfect women and in the end dies.  The professor went on to say that Beth exemplifies the fact that there never is a perfect woman.  Which I think is a very intriguing concept that the author put forth.  If there can never be a perfect women than why did the author write a novel on perfecting a woman’s behavior?  The author brings out a point that would be considered iconoclastic during this time.  Was there any opposition for this novel?

            Another aspect that I feel would have been iconoclastic is Jo’s character in general.  The way I read the book, I loved Jo as a character and wanted Jo and Laurie to marry.  It seem as if Alcott wanted the reader to sympathize with Jo instead of with the other “Little Women.”  Which was not the perceived goal of the novel.  Although, it appears that Alcott wrote a book on women’s manners, I see it also as a book that proves one can have manners, but also break the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment