Saturday, April 18, 2009

King Tut Reflection

I was very surprised and intrigued after reading the King Tut reading. The connection that was made between universal artifacts, oil and race were all very interesting. The fact that the government can twist cultural artifacts into making them universal and then later on using the same explanation to justify the need for cheap oil is impressive and astonishing. I personally believe that the government operates for economical reasons. Its main motive is how to enrich the nation’s economy even if it means by exploiting other countries. I feel that the argument that the government presented that the artifacts discovered in King Tut’s tomb were universal for cultural purposes was in actuality meant for economic reasons. The reading gave numerous examples on how people were able to gain economic benefits by selling King Tut memorials and relics after the exhibit was brought to the United States.

In addition, the government was in desperate need of cheaper oil. They were able to disguise the cultural argument about why oil was universal to satisfy their economic needs. I believe that this is an accurate image about the government. I personally believe the real motives for the government’s actions are all for economical purposes. There have been numerous events in history where this claim has been proven. Overall, I enjoyed the King Tut reading and the numerous connections it had made.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that the government operates exclusively for economic reasons. I found myself focusing on this fact while I was reading, often times very shocked and how far the government seemed to go in the King Tut situation. Is this somewhat corrupt? Or just the way the government should operate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I am not skeptical enough, but I believe that the American government acts in what it believes to be the best interest of America. We are a capitalist nation, and there are many times when the government's actions benefit the nation's economy directly and indirectly. However, in spite of this, I believe that most US policymakers are able to put monetary considerations to the side and act in the best interest of US humanity. On a micro-level, it is clear that most governmental bureaucrats do not pursue their line of work because of a fat paycheck. On a higher level, George W. Bush refused to provide government funding for stem cell research because it conflicted with his beliefs, and he also thought his stance was in the best interest of America (in terms of morality), despite all of the monetary gains America could enjoy if he allowed the funding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this reading very interesting. Hearing about what the possible motives for the United States to bring the King Tut exhibit to America was interesting to me. I also found it interesting how the author described the artifacts being more about the art and less about the story behind them. I thought this was interesting in that the art and aesthetic part of the exhibit was more stressed than the historical part.

    ReplyDelete